For seniors in need of assistance, home care services can make a huge difference in the quality of their life. Services provided may include: in-home assistance with meals, grooming, transportation, bathing, and continence care. For someone who struggles with these necessary daily tasks, home care agencies, like CaraVita Home Care, provide a great option to allow seniors to remain at home.
Providing senior citizens with the appropriate level of home care is a task that is best undertaken by a trusted home care agency. Let us look at how to begin exploring home care agencies, like CaraVita Home Care, and five qualities that will help you separate the best home care providers from the rest.
- Determine what level of care is the best for you or your loved one. One of the best ways to determine the proper level of care required is to complete a care assessment tool. Care assessment tools can be completed by the individual or by a family member who is familiar with the person’s care needs.
- Look for a provider that offers a comprehensive range of solutions to address individual client needs. Home care services are not unidimensional. Rather, they are tiered to reflect the specific care needs of seniors. If your family's needs change – it is important that the home care provider you choose can adapt to the new requirements. Examples of levels of home care services include the following:
- 24-hour home care services for seniors requiring around-the-clock attention
- Short-term home care services for seniors, including home care for under four hours per day
- Transitional home care for the elderly recovering from surgery or illness
- Respite care to give primary caregivers a temporary break from their caregiving duties
- Complete an intake evaluation to identify key challenges. When securing home care, the first step after choosing a provider is to meet with one of their team members to discuss the specific needs and challenges faced by you and/or your loved one. During the intake evaluation, home care providers will determine whether a senior is a good fit for home care services and what type of services are most appropriate.
- Inquire about specialty programs that help prolong independence. Top home care agencies offer programs that help combat a cognitive decline in senior citizens. Specialty programs are designed to help senior citizens comply with medication regimens, maintain a healthy diet, and bolster flexibility and strength.
- Ask about support for family members and regular caregivers. Supportive services play a fundamental role in educating family members and caregivers about ways to promote healthy aging. Topics include fall prevention, safe transfer techniques, caring for the caregiver, and behavioral management for seniors with Alzheimer's Disease or dementia.
What are some qualities to look for in a home care agency?
Not all home care providers are created equal. As you evaluate potential home care agencies, be sure to pay attention to key factors that help distinguish top home care providers from run-of-the-mill companies. Below are five qualities to look for as you compare home care agencies:
- Locally owned and operated - Local organizations tend to offer a greater level of personalization and attention.
- A high level of professionalism - Staff should be responsive, courteous, and properly-trained.
- Customized care plans for the care recipient - Care plans should reflect the fact that every person is different and care should not be a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach.
- Outstanding references - Carefully review references of current and past customers in your area.
- Accessibility 24 hours per day - The home care provider you choose should be reachable 24/7.
By seeking a home care agency that offers the qualities above, you can help ensure that you and your loved ones are highly satisfied with the level of care provided.